Six ways to protect yourself when selecting a warranty:
- Read the Warranty Word For Word – If a company tells you they have a “Lifetime” Warranty. Ask to see a copy and read it word for word. Pay close attention to the exclusions and double talk.
- Ask Your Representative to see a copy of the Warranty – Before you sign an agreement, ask your representative to show you a copy of the warranty.
- Tell Your Representative to put it in writing – Tell your representative to put in writing all aspects of the window that are guaranteed including all Windows, parts, labor, installation, glass, and seals. If your representative will not back up his claims in writing, find another company.
- Watch out for Service charges – While most companies will replace parts free of charge, they typically charge $70 to $150 per hour for each visit to your home to fix a problem. (At Castle Windows, service is free of course).
- Why is the warranty so important? – You can determine the actual quality of the product simply by reading the warranty. For example, if a company cannot guarantee the color of the vinyl, you are probably receiving a recycled or re-processed vinyl, which may stain, discolor, or fade.
- Take the Castle Tutorial below to spot BOGUS warranties
Protect yourself with a TRUE Lifetime Warranty
The problem with most warranties is that people don’t read past the word “Lifetime.” The first line says “Lifetime,” but the remainder of the warranty talks about exclusions. We have put together a list of the most common ways window companies will cheat you out of your warranty. These exclusions provide absolutely no coverage to the homeowner.